Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Pictures that lie!


This is a picture of a University of Wisconsin magazine cover. They not only specifically used a black students picture to show diversity on campus but also used a 1993 football game picture, 1994 snapshot of a black student and used it in 2000 to show the diversity. 
I chose this picture because it was related to University and since this was for a class project, I thought it may be a good match. 
So, the 1993 football game picture was taken, then the black student's picture was added and mixed into it so that it looked like one picture. And to give it the final touchups, the 2001-02 line was added. 
This manipulation was not exactly harmful but i was definitely misleading. Because the university may not actually be that diverse anymore but anyone who read that magazine would believe so. Thus, it was not exactly very ethical of the University to do that.

I chose this video because it very simply explains the basic starting tools of Photoshop. From a simple picture, how you can create a very different and artistic picture. The steps were all explained very well and even the background music was well-suited.


4 comments:

  1. I think it's really interesting how people value diversity, and they would manipulate an image so that their institution appears diverse

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the image you chose was really interesting too. I almost chose that one two. I would agree that this photo is misleading

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the video you chose; it clearly shows how much image manipulation can be accomplished with Photoshop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this video, too! Good music, good technique and good subject. I hadn't seen it before - thanks!

    ReplyDelete